Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Respect

Today's Angel Card is Respect.

I've lost respect for a lot of people in my life. But on the flip side, I've met a lot of new people lately who I hold a great deal of respect for.

Overall, respect is an incredibly selfish notion. Whether or not you respect someone is often based solely on ones opinion. Opinions are extremely emotion based, and facts are often left out. I try to keep an even keel as far as respect goes. For example, I respect Lana DelRay as an artist for her talent and self confidence, regardless of the fact that she romanticizes domestic abuse. Of course, even that is just my opinion.

I do believe respect has 2 faces... The respect that is given to decent human beings strictly for being decent human beings, and the respect that is earned. I try to treat everyone with respect, but once you break my trust and lose my respect, it has to be earned from that point forward.

Respecting myself is a daily work in progress as well. I'd rather offer respect and compassion to a complete stranger, than offer it to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment